Re: How to analyze a core dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: S Bob <sbob(at)quadratum-braccas(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to analyze a core dump
Date: 2020-11-02 18:04:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

S Bob <sbob(at)quadratum-braccas(dot)com> writes:
> On 11/2/20 9:55 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> Is signal 10 SIGBUS on your platform? Perhaps check the relevant man
>> page on your platform -- "man signal.7" works for me here.
>> What CPU architecture and operating system are you using?

> 32 bit, Solaris 10

Solaris should be enough like other Unixen to presume that SIGBUS is 10.
However, that doesn't get you far towards finding a root cause.

Since you have a core file, maybe you could extract a stack trace
from it? We have some suggestions at

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Linux/BSD

although I'm afraid that's pretty gdb-specific, and Solaris probably
has different debugging tools.

What PG version are you running, exactly?