Re: Testing of MVCC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Matt Miller <mattm(at)epx(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Testing of MVCC
Date: 2005-08-16 14:23:05
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Maybe the right answer is just to hack up Pg.pm or DBD::Pg to provide
>> the needed asynchronous-command-submission facility, and go forward
>> from there using the Perl Test framework.

> How will we make sure it's consistent? People have widely varying
> versions of DBD::Pg and DBI installed, not to mention the bewildering
> array of Test::Foo modules out there

Yeah, that would be an issue. But can't a Perl script require
"version >= m.n" for each module it uses?

I had actually been thinking to myself that Pg.pm might be a better base
because it's more self-contained.

Another line of thought is to write a fresh implementation of the wire
protocol all in Perl, so as not to depend on DBI or much of anything
except Perl's TCP support (which I hope is reasonably well standardized
;-)). If you wanted to do any testing at the protocol level ---
handling of bad messages, say --- you'd pretty much need this anyway
because no driver is going to let you get at things at such a low level.
But it'd raise the cost of getting started quite a bit.