Re: Can the query planner create indexes?

From: Gabriele Bartolini <Gabriele(dot)Bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
To: Dario Beraldi <dario(dot)beraldi(at)ed(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can the query planner create indexes?
Date: 2010-12-21 10:09:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Ciao Dario,

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:14:36 +0000, Dario Beraldi
<dario(dot)beraldi(at)ed(dot)ac(dot)uk> wrote:
> the query run better the planner is not able (allowed?) to create
> such
> index, use it, and drop it once the query is done. Why is it so?

Because it is not its responsibility. This is the simplest and most
rational answer.

I would reply with some questions that hopefully will give you the
answer. How can you define a 'good' query from a 'bad' query? Consider
the case when an user launches a wrong query and the planner you propose
starts creating an index. I believe that would be a mess.

Then ... how could you project this scenario in a concurrent context
where multiple users launch queries that 'need' an index?

I suggest that you look at the documentation for more information.
Otherwise, I strongly suggest that you read the chapter on the planner
from Greg's book on High Performance (which you can find from here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/)

Merry Christmas to you too!

Cheers,
Gabriele