Database backup is very slow

From: Rob Richardson <RDRichardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Database backup is very slow
Date: 2014-10-02 14:39:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

When I try to back up a small database, the backup dialog box appears, and flashes every couple of seconds for a very long time. (My first title for this message was "Database backup does not work".) After several minutes, it will finally decide that it knows what do, and will run the backup. This never happened with versions of PGAdmin that shipped with PostgreSQL version 9.1 or earlier. This also does not happen with pg_dump. What is the cause of this very irritating delay?

Thank you very much.

RobR