PGAdmin for PostgreSQL 9.3 creates tables with double quotes embedded in the name

From: Rob Richardson <RDRichardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PGAdmin for PostgreSQL 9.3 creates tables with double quotes embedded in the name
Date: 2014-05-30 19:49:09
Lists: pgadmin-support

I just spent half a day trying to set up a log4net AdoNetAppender to write into a PostgreSQL table named "Log". It was not working, and I was not getting any error messages anyplace. Not my application, not PostgreSQL log files. I stripped the log4net configuration file to a bare minimum, where it merely writes the same message every time, using this query:

INSERT INTO Log (message) VALUES ('This is a log message');

I could not get it to work.

Finally, in desperation, I opened an SQL window in PGAdmin, and pasted the query into it. It didn't work! It claimed there is no relation named Log. I tried this:
INSERT INTO log (message) VALUES ('This is a log message');
It didn't work either.
I tried this:
INSERT INTO "Log" (message) VALUES ('This is a log message');
That worked!

When I was staring at the table definition PGAdmin showed me, I noticed that the SQL to create the table began with:
CREATE TABLE "Log"
Note the double quotes around the word Log. I came to the conclusion that the double quotes are actually being included in the table name.

I dropped the table and recreated it manually. Now, when I look at the create table script, I see that it begins with:
CREATE TABLE Log
And when I run the application that tries to write log messages into that table, it works!

We cannot have double quotes embedded in object names for our applications. It would be a huge change in the way many pieces of our products are configured. Is there a way to change this behavior, or do we have to revert to an older version of PostgreSQL?

Thank you very much!

RobR