How can I test a function in the SQL window?

From: Rob Richardson <RDRichardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How can I test a function in the SQL window?
Date: 2015-04-02 17:02:45
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello!

I suddenly find myself stumped. A co-worker gave me a function to use in my database, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. So, I wanted to run it from PGAdmin's SQL window. But I can't call it. When I try

select standupdatestatus('12', 'Loaded', 100);

I get:

ERROR: query has no destination for result data
HINT: If you want to discard the results of a SELECT, use PERFORM instead.
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function standupdatestatus(text,text,integer) line 44 at SQL statement
********** Error **********

ERROR: query has no destination for result data
SQL state: 42601
Hint: If you want to discard the results of a SELECT, use PERFORM instead.
Context: PL/pgSQL function standupdatestatus(text,text,integer) line 44 at SQL statement

When I try

perform standupdatestatus('12', 'Loaded', 100);

I get:

ERROR: syntax error at or near "perform"
LINE 1: perform standupdatestatus('12', 'Loaded', 100);
^

ERROR: syntax error at or near "perform"
SQL state: 42601
Character: 1

What do I need to do?

Thanks very much!