Why do backups take so long?

From: Rob Richardson <RDRichardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Why do backups take so long?
Date: 2015-03-06 18:26:12
Lists: pgadmin-support

I have PostgreSQL 9.3 and the associated version of PGAdmin loaded on my Windows 7 Pro box. I am trying to take a backup of a tiny database on my local machine. When I request the backup, PGAdmin flashes for three minutes before finally deciding to make the backup. Why does it do that, and is there an update for PGAdmin available that doesn't do that?

Thank you very much.

RobR