Re: md5 hash on table row

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Jon Lapham <lapham(at)jandr(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: md5 hash on table row
Date: 2005-11-02 17:18:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> I just noticed that record_out(foo) works only in 8.1. When I have
> more time I'll see if it's possible in earlier versions.

Probably not :-(

* src/backend/parser/parse_coerce.c: Allow implicit cast from any
named composite type to RECORD. At the moment this has no
particular use except to allow table rows to be passed to
record_out(), but that case seems to be useful in itself per recent
example from Elein. Further down the road we could look at letting
PL functions be declared to accept RECORD parameters.