Re: Is there a significant difference in Memory settings between 9.5 and 12

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a significant difference in Memory settings between 9.5 and 12
Date: 2020-05-11 21:30:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Okay the one difference I see in settings is this little gem in 12..
> shared_memory_type mmap

Well, v12 is just exposing a switch for something that was hard-wired
before. But now I wonder if your 9.5 installation could've been compiled
to force it to use SysV shmem instead of POSIX. It would be pretty
unusual to have a system where the SysV shmem limits were higher than
the POSIX limits --- usually it's the other way 'round. But this'd
explain why you're seeing a difference.

Does v12 start with the higher shared_buffers setting if you
set shared_memory_type = sysv?