Re: TX semantics backward compatibility

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Kovács Péter <peter(dot)kovacs(at)chemaxon(dot)hu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TX semantics backward compatibility
Date: 2005-06-23 17:42:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> writes:
> What versions of postgresql supported the abortive non-autocommit mode
> that caused so many problems, could it be that 7.2 did, and it was on
> for this fellow?

If memory serves, that mistake was only in 7.3. In any case, it would
not have had the effect of auto-recovering from errors.

The only explanation that I can think of for his report is that the 7.2
JDBC driver was automatically canceling the transaction and starting a
new one after detecting an error ... which is bizarre enough to be hard
to believe, but I'm far from an authority on JDBC.