Re: Upgrading to a major version

From: Andreas Kretschmer <andreas(at)a-kretschmer(dot)de>
To: JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading to a major version
Date: 2016-03-21 15:43:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

> JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com> hat am 21. März 2016 um 16:22
> geschrieben:
>

> Hello,
>
> I am actually using PostgreSQL 9.1 and I am thinking about upgrading to
> version 9.4 or 9.5. I have read that the most feasible and secure way to
> upgrade PostgreSQL to a major version is by using pg_dump/pg_restore. Is
> this correct?

pg_dump dumps only one database, for a complete backup for the upgrade i would
suggest pg_dumpall,
this dumps also global objects (user).

The result is a plain ASCII-File, this can you play with psql. You should use
the pg_dump(all) from the higher
version if possible.

> Does an upgrade applies for going from 32-bit to 64-bit?

you can also change the platform, a dump is (should be) independed.

--
Andreas Kretschmer
http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/