Is there a way to get both the plan and the results?

From: François Beausoleil <francois(at)teksol(dot)info>
To: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is there a way to get both the plan and the results?
Date: 2014-10-01 17:46:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all!

Building a small tool, and it would be super useful if I could get both the query results and the plan at the same time. At the moment, the tool accepts a SQL query, drops it into a file and call psql --file=whatever.sql. I can change to use a lower-level API if necessary.

Ideally, I’d like to do something like EXLAIN (ANALYZE, RESULTS) SELECT ...

I’m talking about multi-minute queries, so it’s less than ideal if I have to run the query twice: once for EXPLAIN ANALYZE, once for the actual results.