Re: add function argument names to regex* functions.

From: Chapman Flack <jcflack(at)acm(dot)org>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Dian Fay <di(at)nmfay(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add function argument names to regex* functions.
Date: 2024-07-15 14:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/15/24 08:02, jian he wrote:
> also address Chapman Flack point:
> correct me if i am wrong, but i don't think the ISO standard mandates
> function argument names.
> So we can choose the best function argument name for our purpose?

Ah, I may have mistaken which functions the patch meant to apply to.

These being the non-ISO regexp_* functions using POSIX expressions,
the ISO standard indeed says nothing about them.

In the ISO standard *_regex "functions", there are not really "function
argument names" mandated, because, like so many things in ISO SQL, they
have their own special syntax instead of being generic function calls:

TRANSLATE_REGEX('a|e|i|o|u' FLAG 'i' IN 'A PostgreSQL function'
WITH 'X' FROM 1 OCCURRENCE 3);

Any choice to use similar argument names in the regexp_* functions would
be a matter of consistency with the analogous ISO functions, not anything
mandated.

Regards,
-Chap