Re: current_role of caller of a DEFINER function

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: current_role of caller of a DEFINER function
Date: 2024-06-26 09:08:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2024-06-26 at 10:35 +0200, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> So I have two questions:
> 1) Is there any way to know the current_role of the caller of a
> DEFINER function. I fear the answer is no, but better be sure from
> experts here.
> 2) Why isn't there a way to obtain the above? What harm would it be?

Just te be certain, let me ask a question back:

If a SECURITY DEFINER function calls another SECURITY DEFINER function,
which role would you like to get:

1. the invoker that called the first function

2. the owner of the first function (which is the user that called the
second function)

Yours,
Laurenz Albe