Re: Whole Database or Table AES encryption

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Whole Database or Table AES encryption
Date: 2022-04-28 23:00:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/28/22 18:55, Aaron Gray wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 at 18:01, Bruce Momjian<bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 05:21:41PM +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any way to (virtually) encrypt whole databases or tables with
>>> AES or other types of encryption ?
>> You can use storage encryption via the operating system. Cybertec has a
>> patch for PG 12 and the community is working on an implementation,
>> perhaps for PG 16.
> I would be very interested in this, are there any further pointers as
> to where to look at this ?
> Is there a repo branch in place working on this or any documentation ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aaron

There is a commercial product which supports database encryption,
including PostgreSQL, it's called Voltage:

https://www.techtarget.com/searchsecurity/feature/HP-Security-Voltages-SecureData-Enterprise-Product-overview

The company that I work for uses it to encrypt data in both Oracle and
PostgreSQL databases.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant