Re: Questions for the COPY expert

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Dawn Vu <dvu(at)satx(dot)rr(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions for the COPY expert
Date: 2002-01-20 23:00:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com> forwards:
> --- Dawn Vu <dvu(at)satx(dot)rr(dot)com> wrote:

>> 1. COPY [tablename] TO '/../datafile' seems to have a
>> limitation when datafile is bigger than 2G. Is
>> this a postgresql limitation?

There is no such limitation in the Postgres sources. However, if
you've built on a platform where 64-bit file offset support is not
default, you may well find that such a problem exists in the compiled
code. What is your platform, anyway?

>> 2. I use COPY to transfer data from one machine to
>> another
>> over the network using stdin and stdout without
>> having
>> to write data to intermediate file.

Should work fine.

>> The reason why I ask this question is because I
>> was
>> transferring 41M+ records and one hour into it,
>> the process
>> got a calloc error. What seems to be the
>> limitation here?

Can't tell with so little information. What platform? What Postgres
version? What is the table schema?