Re: Running postgres with a different user/group

From: Gabriele Bartolini <Gabriele(dot)Bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
To: Gabriele Bulfon <gbulfon(at)sonicle(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Running postgres with a different user/group
Date: 2010-11-03 11:19:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Gabriele,

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:29:25 +0100 (CET), Gabriele Bulfon
<gbulfon(at)sonicle(dot)com> wrote:
> I need to run postgres under the same user/group, witout having to
create
> and use postgres user.

That's reasonable and perfectly doable with Postgres.

> But now I can't seem to connect to the database, because it says:
> FATAL: role "postgres" does not exist
> How can I let postgres run under my own user instead of postgres?

That means that PostgreSQL is successfully running. Try and connect to the
database using a different user by passing the '-U' option to psql or by
setting the PGUSER environment variable.

> I can rebuild from sources, if needed.

I believe there is no need to do that.

Ciao,
Gabriele