Re: BETWEEN Node & DROP COLUMN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BETWEEN Node & DROP COLUMN
Date: 2002-07-05 00:15:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Even if we could do it, we would be feeding clients attno
> values that are inaccurate, causing problems when attno is joined to
> other tables.

Good point; we'd need similar views replacing pg_attrdef and probably
other places. Messy indeed :-(

But as Dave already pointed out, it's probably pointless to worry.
The schema support in 7.3 will already de-facto break nearly every
client that inspects the system catalogs, so adding some more work
for DROP COLUMN support isn't going to make much difference.