Re: delete to slow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Ricardo Valen?a de Assis <valenca(at)campusvirtual(dot)br>, Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: delete to slow
Date: 2005-04-06 22:28:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
> Hmm... it would be pretty handy if there was a way to make triggers show
> up in explain somehow, maybe as a pseudo query node.

Been there, done that ...

* doc/src/sgml/perform.sgml, src/backend/catalog/pg_constraint.c,
src/backend/commands/copy.c, src/backend/commands/explain.c,
src/backend/commands/portalcmds.c, src/backend/commands/trigger.c,
src/backend/executor/execMain.c,
src/backend/executor/execProcnode.c,
src/backend/executor/functions.c,
src/backend/executor/instrument.c, src/backend/executor/spi.c,
src/backend/tcop/pquery.c, src/include/catalog/pg_constraint.h,
src/include/commands/trigger.h, src/include/executor/instrument.h,
src/include/nodes/execnodes.h: Improve EXPLAIN ANALYZE to show the
time spent in each trigger when executing a statement that fires
triggers. Formerly this time was included in "Total runtime" but
not otherwise accounted for. As a side benefit, we avoid
re-opening relations when firing non-deferred AFTER triggers,
because the trigger code can re-use the main executor's
ResultRelInfo data structure.

It's too big a change to consider back-patching into 8.0, unfortunately.