Build and install - how to avoid dependency on specific library version

From: "BRUSSER Michael" <Michael(dot)BRUSSER(at)3ds(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Build and install - how to avoid dependency on specific library version
Date: 2009-05-11 18:10:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Folks,
I ran the build on a different Solaris machine and installation
immediately failed with this message:

ld.so.1: postgres: fatal: libresolv.so.2: version `SUNW_2.2.2' not found
(required by file .../<some-path>/postgres)

Looking at the build machine:
/usr/lib> /usr/ccs/bin/elfdump -v libresolv.so.2

Version Needed Section: .SUNW_version
file version
libsocket.so.1 SUNW_1.4
SUNWprivate_1.1
libnsl.so.1 SUNW_1.9.1
SUNWprivate_1.4
libc.so.1 SUNW_1.22
SUNWprivate_1.1

Version Definition Section: .SUNW_version
index version dependency
[1] libresolv.so.2 [ BASE ]
[2] SUNW_2.2.2 SUNW_2.2.1
[3] SUNW_2.2.1 SUNW_2.2
[4] SUNW_2.2 SUNW_2.1
[5] SUNW_2.1
[6] SUNWprivate_2.2 SUNWprivate_2.1
[7] SUNWprivate_2.1

------
Same check on the installation host:

% /usr/ccs/bin/elfdump -v libresolv.so.2

Version Needed Section: .SUNW_version
file version
libsocket.so.1 SUNW_1.4
SUNWprivate_1.1
libnsl.so.1 SUNW_1.7
SUNWprivate_1.4
libc.so.1 SUNW_1.22
SUNWprivate_1.1

Version Definition Section: .SUNW_version
index version dependency
[1] libresolv.so.2 [ BASE ]
[2] SUNW_2.2.1 SUNW_2.2
[3] SUNW_2.2 SUNW_2.1
[4] SUNW_2.1
[5] SUNWprivate_2.2 SUNWprivate_2.1
[6] SUNWprivate_2.1

------

So it appears the problem is that when I build Postgres SUNW_2.2.2 is
available, and somehow
it gets registered with the binary (maybe though configure ?)
On the target machine the highest version of libresolv is SUNW_2.2.1,
so initdb fails.

I've got this far, but I don't know how to deal with this problem.
Ideally I'd like to continue running builds on this new machine, but I
cannot assume that every installation host
will have this particular version of libresolv.

Is there a reasonably good way of handling this situation?

If it matters this is Postgresql 7.3.10 (Yeah, I know, don't ask me
why...)

Thank you,
Michael.