Re: How to GRANT rights to modify a table ???

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: Denis BUCHER <dbucherml(at)hsolutions(dot)ch>, PostgreSQL - General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to GRANT rights to modify a table ???
Date: 2009-09-12 16:00:36
Lists: pgsql-general

"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod(at)iol(dot)ie> writes:
> On 12/09/2009 16:44, Denis BUCHER wrote:
>> ERROR: must be the owner of the mytable relation

> The clue is in the error message :-) .... GRANTing ALL doesn't make them
> the owner of the object as well.

> For that, you have to do something like
> ALTER TABLE mytable OWNER TO mycolleague;

What might be more practical is to create a group role that actually
owns the table, and make everyone who needs to do this sort of thing
a member of that group.

CREATE ROLE mytable_owner;
ALTER TABLE mytable OWNER TO mytable_owner;
GRANT mytable_owner TO myself, mycolleague, ... ;

I highly recommend reading the GRANT command reference page.