Re: New manual chapters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New manual chapters
Date: 2002-08-06 05:54:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Arg. That's something I didn't think of. No, attlognums aren't done. I
> think having drop column is more important than the above concern tho. I'll
> add it to my TODO.

But we *have* drop column.

If we don't do attlognum for 7.3, there's little point in doing it at
all. By the time 7.4 comes out, clients that formerly expected a
consecutive series of attnums will have found some way to cope.

I'm not sure that I feel any strong sense of urgency about this ---
7.3 will break clients that examine the system catalogs in many ways,
and this doesn't seem like the nastiest of 'em.

I just wanted to point out that "we'll do it later" isn't a profitable
attitude towards attlognum. Either it's done by the end of August,
or it never gets done at all.