Re: CREATE SYNONYM in PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Vinayak <vinpokale(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE SYNONYM in PostgreSQL
Date: 2014-09-10 16:15:29
Lists: pgsql-general

> In general, this has been discussed a number of times in the past (I
> brought it up when I ran into the issue originally too..) and I continue
> to feel that it'd be good for us to have, but the argument is that
> anything done to support synonyms would necessairly slow down name
> resolution and could complicate other things. Still, I'm hopeful that
> someone with a good use-case for synonyms will get tired of having to
> use such hacks and will have time (or funds) to put towards figuring out
> how to add them to PG.

It's been a long time, but I seem to remember that one of the main
use-cases for Oracle synonyms was cross-database links; so at the
time this was last discussed, we just threw up our hands and said
"we can't support that". No amount of search-path game playing will
cover that case, and not plain views either. Today, however, I wonder
whether you can't just use postgres_fdw. Admittedly it might have some
performance issues...