Strategy for migrating from Oracle to PG

From: "Johnson, Bruce E - (bjohnson)" <Johnson(at)pharmacy(dot)arizona(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Strategy for migrating from Oracle to PG
Date: 2023-09-01 22:22:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I have an oracle database with a bunch of schemas that are the data sources for bunch of web applications; what used to be called an ‘intranet’.

I’ve installed pg2sql, and it’s working, and what I want to do is pretty much copy what I existing now as closely as possible.

I've done ora2pg —project_base /oracle_migrate/ —init_project [schema name]

Properly set the schema username and password in the ./config/ora2pg.conf filer each of them

Do I need to create the users in Postgres, or is that done as part of the import_all.sh script?

The schemas themselves are not all that complex, mostly just tables, views and a handful of procedures and grants.

Installed version of Postgres is v15.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona