Re: Final call for platform testing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: bpalmer <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>, "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Final call for platform testing
Date: 2001-04-03 18:17:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> Not sure how to test the "implicit time zone" feature of "TIME WITH TIME
> ZONE" without risking the same kinds of trouble. Maybe the test should
> be recast to using only comparisons with other date/time types which
> have been shown to behave themselves across time zone boundaries. But
> I'm not sure that this would continue to really test the feature.

I suspect we have no choice but to eliminate this particular test from
the regression suite. A test that fails for a few days around DST
boundaries is one thing, but a test that fails for six months out of the
year is another.

BTW, the reason HPUX was failing to fail is that its mktime() is picky
about tm_year; we were forgetting to subtract off 1900 in that
particular code path. Fixed. Now I get a failure like everyone else ;-)