Re: does this look more like a possible bug or more like a possible hardware problem...? (long)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frank van Vugt <ftm(dot)van(dot)vugt(at)foxi(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: does this look more like a possible bug or more like a possible hardware problem...? (long)
Date: 2004-03-10 14:34:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Frank van Vugt <ftm(dot)van(dot)vugt(at)foxi(dot)nl> writes:
> At one point, I arrived at the following situation:
> psql:/home/data/megadump.sql:5169: WARNING: specified item offset is too
> large
> psql:/home/data/megadump.sql:5169: PANIC: failed to add item to the page
> for "pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index"

> Trying the same script on a newly created database doesn't show the problem.
> However, I do still have the database that came up with this message, which
> is now failing a vacuum full verbose analyse with:

> ERROR: catalog is missing 6 attribute(s) for relid 8349771

This is consistent with the idea that pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index is
corrupted. I would suggest saving a copy of that file for postmortem
analysis and then trying to REINDEX pg_attribute. (Depending on which
PG version you are running, that may require running a standalone
backend. See the REINDEX man page.)

If REINDEX makes the problem go away, would you send me the corrupted
index file off-list?