Re: Postgres has stopped logging

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lewis Kapell <lkapell(at)setonhome(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres has stopped logging
Date: 2009-06-05 16:56:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Lewis Kapell <lkapell(at)setonhome(dot)org> writes:
> If I search the output of ps -ax for entries containing both "postgres:"
> and "process" I get the following:

> 2259 ? Ss 0:03 postgres: logger process

Well, that looks reasonable. You might try strace'ing that process
while you do something that's certain to provoke a log entry
(maybe "SELECT 1/0;" in a psql session).

The only likely problem that I can think of at this point is that
SELinux might think the process shouldn't be allowed to write in
/var/log/postgres/, but I don't know why that would have just suddenly
started to be a problem after working before. Unless maybe someone
did a system-wide restorecon or some such.