VACUUM unable to accomplish because of a non-existent MultiXactId

From: Kouber Saparev <kouber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: VACUUM unable to accomplish because of a non-existent MultiXactId
Date: 2015-11-27 18:25:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

Recently I spotted an auto vacuum that is constantly being run over a pg_toast table in the database. Interestingly the underlying table did not have that amount of writes that would trigger the auto vacuum every minute.

When I tried to run the VACUUM manually it died with a non-existent MultiXactId error:

db=# vacuum analyze verbose pg_toast.pg_toast_376621;
INFO: vacuuming "pg_toast.pg_toast_376621"
ERROR: MultiXactId 2915905228 does no longer exist -- apparent wraparound

db=# select txid_current();
txid_current
--------------
2583853583
(1 row)

db=# select datfrozenxid from pg_database where datname=‘db';
datfrozenxid
2161848861
(1 row)

We did a pg_upgrade about a month ago to upgrade from 9.2 to 9.4, so I guess there might be some relation, as I do not remember having that issue before the upgrade.

The question is, how can I clean the table in question and finally be able to run a vacuum over it?

Regards,

Kouber Saparev