Re: DNS lookup for git.postgresql.org

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DNS lookup for git.postgresql.org
Date: 2021-06-30 22:00:28
Lists: pgsql-www

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:20 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> Oh, I used the -4 option and my failures stopped. Glad this thread was
>> helpful for you too. I never expected IPv6 to lead to failures, just
>> possible delays, but I have now learned, at least with DNS, it can cause

> It shouldn't.
> I regularly work from networks with no native ipv6 and these things
> work perfectly fine.

IME, things work just well enough that it takes awhile to realize that
they aren't entirely okay. It took me a few months after upgrading to
RHEL8 to make the connection between occasional (maybe one-in-a-thousand)
mail failures and not having bind set up with "-4". I don't know whether
the previous setup avoided that because older bind defaulted differently
or because there was some change in kernel configuration.