Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path
Date: 2011-02-07 17:52:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 7, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> Also, I didn't bite this bullet, but maybe we should provide core PLs as
> extension. Then CREATE LANGUAGE would maybe get deprecated and only
> valid when used in an extension's script — or the next patch (UPGRADE)
> will take care of create a plpythonu extension then attaching the PL
> into it.

I anticipate dependencies becoming a big deal. I already have ideas for extensions that depend on citext, for example (domains for time zone, email address, etc.). And yeah, some of those might depend on procedural languages. FWIW, I've been putting PL prereqs in META.json files on PGXN. pgTAP, for example, requires PL/pgSQL:

http://master.pgxn.org/dist/pgTAP/pgTAP-0.25.0.json

Best,

David