Re: Support TZ format code in to_timestamp()

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support TZ format code in to_timestamp()
Date: 2024-01-22 15:43:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 22 Jan 2024, at 03:10, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I still think it would be a good idea, but I can't deny the lack
> of other interest in it. Unless someone steps up to review,
> let's close it.

Since I had this on my (ever-growing) TODO I re-prioritized today and took a
look at it since I think it's something we should support.

Nothing really sticks out and I was unable to poke any holes so I don't have
too much more to offer than a LGTM.

+ while (len > 0)
+ {
+ const datetkn *tp = datebsearch(lowtoken, zoneabbrevtbl->abbrevs,
+ zoneabbrevtbl->numabbrevs);

My immediate reaction was that we should stop at prefix lengths of two since I
could only think of abbreviations of two or more. Googling and reading found
that there are indeed one-letter timezones (Alpha, Bravo etc..). Not sure if
it's worth mentioning that in the comment to help other readers who aren't neck
deep in timezones?

+ /* FALL THRU */

Tiny nitpick, it looks a bit curious that we spell it FALL THRU here and "fall
through" a few cases up in the same switch. While we are quite inconsistent
across the tree, consistency within a file is preferrable (regardless of
which).

--
Daniel Gustafsson