Re: pg_ctl with unix domain socket?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josef Wolf <jw(at)raven(dot)inka(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl with unix domain socket?
Date: 2009-09-04 17:33:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Josef Wolf <jw(at)raven(dot)inka(dot)de> writes:
>> pg_ctl -Ddb -o "-h '' -k `pwd`/db" -l postgreslog start

> This works, but when I add the -w option, it waits all the 60 seconds.

I don't believe pg_ctl is smart enough to dredge the -k option out of -o
and figure out that it has to look there for the socket.

In general I'd advise against using -k, as that will break nearly all
clients not only pg_ctl. If you need to put the socket in a nonstandard
place, it's most convenient to wire the knowledge into libpq by changing
DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR at build time. AFAIR that requires manually
editing pg_config_manual.h.