Re: Views- Advantages and Disadvantages

From: woodb(at)niwa(dot)co(dot)nz
To: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Ashish Karalkar" <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Views- Advantages and Disadvantages
Date: 2007-05-09 07:54:01
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 5/9/07, Ashish Karalkar <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
> Can anybody please point me to Advantages and Disadvantages
> of using view

Hi Ashish,

There are several, but they are generally about implementing a more user
friendly database from a well normalised structure.

You can use views to do any or all of:

act as a filter on fields or records which can be accessed by given users,

act as a stored query to avoid writing a commonly used SQL,

aggregate normalised tables into a single virtual table, so that access
does not require as complex a join, thus it can hide the complexity of the
database structure from applications or users.

An example use is to have a view which provides only the current version
of data from a database which stores multiple versions of the data.

Cheers,

Brent Wood