Re: Proposal for psql wildcarding behavior w/schemas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for psql wildcarding behavior w/schemas
Date: 2002-08-06 05:24:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Uh, if we follow the shell rules, quote-star-quote means star has no
> special meaning:

Interesting analogy. We can't take it too far, because the shell quote
rules don't agree with SQL:

$ echo "aaa""zzz"
aaazzz

Under SQL rules the produced identifier would be aaa"zzz. Still, this
provides some ammunition for not processing wildcard characters that
are within quotes.

> $ echo \*
> *

That analogy says we need to accept both quote and backslash quoting.
Not sure about this. Again, SQL doesn't quite agree with the shell
about how these interact. For example:

egression=# select "foo\bar";
ERROR: Attribute "foo\bar" not found
regression=# \q
$ echo "foo\bar"
foar <--- \b went to backspace

So backslash isn't special within quotes according to SQL, but it
is according to the shell.

I still like "use the shell wildcards" as a rough design principle,
but the devil is in the details ...