Re: savepoint name vs prepared transaction name

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: savepoint name vs prepared transaction name
Date: 2009-10-16 14:38:52
Lists: pgsql-general

=?UTF-8?Q?Grzegorz_Ja=C5=9Bkiewicz?= <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Is there any reason, why I can't put quotes around name of savepoint, but I
> have/can do this for prepare transaction ?

Savepoint names are identifiers; the SQL spec says so. Prepared
transaction GIDs are string literals. The relevant discussion
about that is here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-05/msg01292.php

We could conceivably allow an identifier too in PREPARE TRANSACTION,
but I think that that might be more dangerous than helpful, because
of the implicit case folding for identifiers. 'XX' and 'xx' are
distinct but XX and xx wouldn't be. There are a few other places
where we allow strings and identifiers interchangeably, but AFAIR
they are all places where case doesn't matter.