Re: Embed PostgreSQL in application

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Embed PostgreSQL in application
Date: 2005-09-05 15:54:54
Lists: pgsql-general

lukas(at)digiem(dot)net (Lukas Demetz) writes:
> Hi there, for a program I am building, which uses PostgreSQL as its
> backend, I want to embed the DB engine into the application's
> setup. Now I wonder if something like Firebird's "Embedded server"
> (a DLL ) is also available for PostgreSQL, or if there are other
> ways to minimize or remove completely the need for a user to install
> PostgreSQL on his own. Thanks for the responses -- Lukas Demetz

There isn't any direct such option.

But nothing stops you from forking a process without telling the user
about it.

You tell the user "I need this port and this directory", and don't
bother telling the user when you start up the database there.

After all, spawning processes cheaply is one of Unix's strengths; you
might as well use that strength...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html