Re: postgre vs MySQL

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date: 2008-03-14 17:57:33
Lists: pgsql-general

craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au (Craig Ringer) writes:
> Erik Jones wrote:
>> They've gotten around that by making MySQL "dual-licensed". If
>> you're going to be using MySQL in a commercial application then you
>> can not use the GPL'd version, you have to use their paid,
>> commercial license.
>>
> My understanding is that's not quite true. The client libraries are
> GPL, so you can't use them directly, but I don't see what would stop
> you using their ODBC/JDBC drivers with your non-GPL application
> (especially if you support other ODBC databases as well). The server
> can't be bundled in your application, but you can still get the user
> to install it and use it with your application.

Well, there's a certain amount of distance between "expectations" and
"legal requirements," and lots of room for weasel wording...

<http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?4,31,888#msg-888>
<http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/>

According to the above things that MySQL AB has said/continues to say,
it is quite clear that the owners of the code *intend* that
"commercial users" should pay them a licensing fee,
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html