Re: A simple way to Create type ...?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A simple way to Create type ...?
Date: 2003-09-16 21:27:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com (ow) writes:
> I had a look at "create type" docs and it seems somewhat complex, involving
> creation of functions and etc. I hope there's a simpler way for the following:
>
> How should one declare a new custom type, say, "AddressType" that corresponds
> internally to "varchar(50)". In other words, all columns that are assigned
> "AddressType" would internally be "varchar(50)".
>
> Example:
> create type AddressType ... -- how to do it in a simple way?
>
> create table ADDRESS
> {
> address_id int not null,
> street_address1 AdressType not null,
> street_address2 AdressType not null,
> )

CREATE TYPE is intended to do something a whole lot more
sophisticated than you want.

What you want instead is CREATE DOMAIN.

flexreg=# create domain addresstype varchar(50);
CREATE DOMAIN
flexreg=# create table address ( address_id integer not null, street1 addresstype not null, street2 addresstype);
CREATE TABLE
flexreg=# \d address
Table "public.address"
Column | Type | Modifiers