Re: Replication Bundled with Main Source.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Unihost Web Hosting <tony(at)unihost(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication Bundled with Main Source.
Date: 2003-10-09 00:28:57
Lists: pgsql-general

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> It is not that we don't want to include replication in the base
>> project it is that ERserver does not meet the requirements of what can
>> be included in the base project. Specifically (I believe) the
>> requirement of Java.

> Maybe they will move to C someday.

Well, JDBC requires Java, and it's still in the main distro.

I think the real answer is that until recently, ERserver wasn't open
source and we didn't have the option to include it. Now that it is
open source, we could think about it. Having looked at the code, I
think it's definitely not ready for prime time, but it could get there
with some work. When it's of comparable solidity to the base project
I'd be in favor of adding it to the base distro.