Re: User postgres unable to revoke privileges?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: François Beausoleil <francois(at)teksol(dot)info>
Cc: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: User postgres unable to revoke privileges?
Date: 2013-06-06 21:59:25
Lists: pgsql-general

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Beausoleil?= <francois(at)teksol(dot)info> writes:
> regress=# ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR ROLE dataanalysts IN SCHEMA public REVOKE SELECT ON TABLES FROM dataanalysts;
> ERROR: permission denied for schema public

> I'm logged in as postgres, the database superuser. Why am I getting a permission denied?

I suspect you already revoked public CREATE privilege in schema public.
Note where the fine manual says:

schema_name
The name of an existing schema. Each target_role must have CREATE privileges for each specified schema.

There was some debate previously about whether that restriction was a
good idea at all; and given this example, it seems like we definitely
shouldn't require it during a REVOKE.