Re: documentation is now XML

From: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation is now XML
Date: 2018-04-23 09:54:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone,

Reading this thread, I got an impression that everyone would benefit
from converting back branches to XML, but the main concern is lack of
resources to complete this task. Are there any other issues that affect
this decision? Looks like Aleksander Lakhin's offer to prepare patches
was missed somehow as the discussion sidetracked to other issues:

> I can prepare such patches (scripts to generate them). In fact we
> (Postgres Pro) perform such conversion (SGML->XML) on-fly when
> building docs starting from 9.6. So it's not problem to convert *.sgml
> and replace Makefile and *.xsl. But I would prefer to perform the
> conversion when we finish the move on 11devel (renaming sgml to xml,
> maybe optimizing xsl's...).

Do you think it's worth considering after May releases? I could also
help with manual testing of the prepared patches if required. Supporting
documentation and translation in several branches will be much easier if
the sources are consistent.

--
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com