Re: restarting logical replication after upgrading standby

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Axel Rau <Axel(dot)Rau(at)chaos1(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: restarting logical replication after upgrading standby
Date: 2022-02-09 13:57:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Feb 7, 2022, at 11:00 AM, Axel Rau <Axel(dot)Rau(at)chaos1(dot)de> wrote:
>
> Anybody out there, succeeding with upgrading a logical replication subscriber without resyncing it?

I have not tried it, but thought this the idea below would work for upgrading the publisher or subscriber with pg_upgrade. Plan to test it in a few weeks. If anyone knows it will not work, that will save me some time :).

Before pg_upgrade on the subscriber:

alter subscription my_subscription disable;
alter subscription my_subscription set (slot_name = NONE);

And then after pg_upgrade:

alter subscription my_subscription enable;

John DeSoi, Ph.D.