Re: Relative security of Community repos and packages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "pbj(at)cmicdo(dot)com" <pbj(at)cmicdo(dot)com>, "pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relative security of Community repos and packages
Date: 2021-07-28 21:14:00
Lists: pgsql-www

Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com> writes:
>> On Jul 28, 2021, at 14:02, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> No that is not the case, at least for community and EDB packages. It might be the case for upstream distributors though (eg. OS vendors).

> They all pull from the community Git repo, though, correct?

I do not think Red Hat does that; they prefer identifiable released
tarballs. I've not worked there in nigh ten years, but I still see
this in their PG specfile:

Source0: https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v%{version}/postgresql-%{version}.tar.bz2

and I clearly recall that there were cross-checks in their build process
that tarball components of an SRPM matched what could be fetched from
the stated URL. Maybe now they have a process that works with direct git
pulls, but they're not using that method with us.

Can't speak to non-RH-based distros.