Re: BUG #16801: Invalid memory access on WITH RECURSIVE with nested WITHs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16801: Invalid memory access on WITH RECURSIVE with nested WITHs
Date: 2021-02-25 02:48:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 09:13:46PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hmm, I don't see any failure from that...

> Perhaps because you are not compiling with -DUSE_VALGRIND which is why
> this fails with only two nested levels?

Ah, right, because that enables DEBUG_LIST_MEMORY_USAGE. I did run
it under valgrind but I hadn't bothered to recompile.

Anyway, I think we're better off with a test that doesn't require
DEBUG_LIST_MEMORY_USAGE, or preferably not even CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY,
to show the problem. The test I showed misbehaves even in non-debug
builds, because it actually depends on what's in the innerwiths lists.