Re: Different releases in the same server

From: marco(dot)ptz(at)tiscali(dot)it
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Different releases in the same server
Date: 2023-08-02 15:27:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Christoph,

thank you very much for your time.
We know the 2
releases are old, unfortunately we cannot change requirement,
we got
this server under our management 3 weeks ago, and customer asked to
upgrade urgently to 12.
It's a governement agency, and the limit is due
to certification matrix with application running
against the
database.

We totaly agree with you about to switch to a new VM built
from scratch, but probabiy this wont be possible,
so we need to
understand in deep what we could face in the migration step having this
server and (we hope) a clone to test on.

thanks again
regards
Marco

Il
02.08.2023 16:57 Christoph Moench-Tegeder ha scritto:

> ##
marco(dot)ptz(at)tiscali(dot)it [1] (marco(dot)ptz(at)tiscali(dot)it [2]):

>> we have
recently started to manage a production server running a 9.6 postgres.

https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/ [3]

>> We have to
upgrade to postgres 12.x

> Which is going EOL in little over one
year's time.

https://yum.postgresql.org/packages/ [4]where you
> can get packages
with some real production life time.
> ks in /usr/bin be created by
alternatives once the 9.2 release w
> d/deinstalled/deleted?
>
> The
symlinks would be created by registering the repective versions
> with
the alternatives system - usually that happens in the post-install

scripts of the RPMs. You could do that manually (after removing 9.2)

or maybe by re-installing your current (ancient) packages. Cleanest

so> toph -- Spare Space.