Re: Planet Postgres and the curse of AI

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planet Postgres and the curse of AI
Date: 2024-07-17 20:48:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/17/24 10:21, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> I've been noticing a growing trend of blog posts written mostly, if not
> entirely, with AI (aka LLMs, ChatGPT, etc.). I'm not sure where to raise
> this issue. I considered a blog post, but this mailing list seemed a
> better forum to generate a discussion.
>

> Do we need a policy or a guideline for Planet Postgres? I don't know. It
> can be a gray line. Obviously spelling and grammar checking is quite
> okay, and making up random GUCs is not, but the middle bit is very hazy.
> (Human) thoughts welcome.

A policy would be nice, just not sure how enforceable it would be. How
do you differentiate between the parrot that is AI and one that is
human? I run across all manner of blog posts where folks have lifted
content from the documentation or other sources without attribution,
which is basically what AI generated content is. AI does like to
embellish and make things up(ask the NYC lawyer suing the airlines about
that), though that is a human trait as well.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com