commit not completing - how to investigate?

From: Tim Dudgeon <tdudgeon(dot)ml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: commit not completing - how to investigate?
Date: 2017-07-21 11:32:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a situation where the pg_stat_activity view shows that can have
some processes that are idle and not completing. In some cases the
statement being executed is COMMIT.

How can I investigate WHY these processes are not completing. Presumably
they are waiting on something, but I'm not sure how to work out what
this is.

Thanks
Tim