Re: Official devcontainer config

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: Official devcontainer config
Date: 2024-08-24 13:47:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24.08.24 14:49, Junwang Zhao wrote:
> What I haven't addressed is that the repo still uses specific local
> paths, I think
> this is ok since the code is not going into the core.

I'm not among the target users of this, but I imagine that that would
significantly reduce the utility of this for everyone besides you?

> One thing I want to ask is, is there any objection to adding the
> .devcontainer and .vscode to the .gitignore file?

The standing policy is that files related to IDEs and editors should not
be in our .gitignore, but you can put them into your personal ignore
file somewhere.

> There are *.vcproj and pgsql.sln in .gitignore, so I guess it's ok to add
> .devcontainer and .vscode?

Those are files generated by the build process, so it is appropriate to
have them there. But in fact, they should have been removed now that
the MSVC build system is done.