Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian

From: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian
Date: 2019-12-03 16:21:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/3/19 7:53 AM, stan wrote:
> I am working on upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian.
>
> My first attempt failed, and I have figured out that this is because I have
> added extensions to the V11 DB, at least one of which was not installed
> using the Debian packages.
>
> So, it looks like i need to install these before doing the upgrade, correct?
>
> This brings up a chicken or egg issue however. We are creating the
> extensions, like this:
>
> CREATE EXTENSION emailaddr with schema ica
>
> So, to accomplish this, I would need to create the ice schema, and the user
> it "belongs" to before I run pg_upgradecluster. This raises 2 questions

There are two parts to adding extensions. First you install the *files*
the extension needs. If you build from source this happens when you say
`make install`. Or if you use pgxn, when you say `pgxn install foo`. On
Ubuntu this will add the *.sql and *.control files to
/usr/share/postgresql/12/extension, and the *.so files to
/usr/lib/postgresql/12/lib (so I assume Debian is similar). You can do
that before running pg_upgradecluster.

The second part is saying CREATE EXTENSION, which adds the extension to
the current database. pg_upgradecluster should handle that for you; it
shouldn't require any extra steps.

I hope this helps!

Yours,

--