Re: Error During PostGIS Build From Source on Linux

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Osahon Oduware <osahon(dot)gis(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, postgis-users(at)lists(dot)osgeo(dot)org, lr(at)pcorp(dot)us
Subject: Re: Error During PostGIS Build From Source on Linux
Date: 2017-04-12 22:09:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On 04/12/2017 02:37 PM, Osahon Oduware wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Thanks for your response. From the solution you provided, does it mean I
> have to build PostgreSQL first from source, before building GDAL from
> source?

Well you need something to provide pg_config for the version of Postgres
you want to install Postgis on it. That could come from packaged version
as well as a source built version. In your case you showed already
building Postgres. From your previous post:

"Next I built PostgreSQL successfully from source as below:
./configure --prefix=/path/to/pgsql
make
make install"

I would say the order is:

1) A Postgres installation with pg_config, whether that is building from
source or installing a package.

2) Build GDAL using the pg_config from 1)

3) Build Postgis using the pg_config from 1) and gdalconfig from 2)

I don't use Postgis so this is just a best guess on my part. That is why
I initially suggested just using the Postgres Yum repos to install
Postgres and Postgis. Then the build process is taken care of for you.